F-1 and J-1 students

International students with F-1 or J-1 Visas from Loyola University Chicago are eligible to work off campus within the United States. However, those students are expected to follow specific guidelines.

For example, F-1 students need to attend a U.S. institution of higher education for one academic year, or two semesters at Loyola University Chicago, in order to qualify for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is the way for F-1 students to work part-time during the normal academic year, paid or unpaid, outside of being employed by their university or college. Without CPT, F-1 students are not allowed to be employed in the United States. Following graduation, F-1 Students obtain work authorization by applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for up to one year of full-time employment within their field of study.

For more information about hiring international students please contact the Office of International Programs at isss@luc.edu.